Sunday, May 15, 2016

Choice. Chance. Change.

Some decisions are by choice.  Some are left to chance.  Either can lead to change.

I believe my children and I are quickly approaching a change because of someone else's choice.  Life deals some funny hands.  I'm not talking funny as in 'ha ha' but rather funny as in 'oh, really?'  Ten months ago I remarried but my husband lives two states away so we have traveled back and forth for the past 2 1/2 years.  I know - it's weird.  It's just where we are.  His work and my kids have kept us apart.  He has valuable work connections after 30+ years in his field and my kids have a dad they love - so whaddya do?  One way or another, you make sacrifices and decide to make it work.

So, 'another' has happened.  My kids' dad received the dreaded pink slip last week.  We live less than a 1/2 mile apart in a tiny, remote community with virtually no opportunities or options.  He won't be able to stay where he is which inevitably means a move for him.  A month or so ago, I requested from him a move to join my husband; he said "My life is the way I like it."  His choice.  Pink Slip.  My chance.  

I know some people think I'm being selfish by wanting to move.  First and foremost, um, yeah.  I want to be with my husband.  Selfish?  Darned right.  Second, for all you who have yet to walk in my shoes - zip your lip and your secretive speculations.  My guess is most of those who have some negative opinion or judgment haven't bothered to learn all the details or history.  Bottom line, your opinion is based on a whole lot of what you don't know nothin' about.  

So, yeah, I'm hoping my kids and I can move.  There are some special folks here I'm very fond of but I'm ready to shake the dust off my sandals and go where I know I'm loved and appreciated.  My choice for a chance at change


2 comments:

  1. I am proud of you for the commitments you have made for love; both to Alan and your kids. It takes a lot to do what you do. Congratulations on your chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete