The day started off peaceful enough. Overnight temperatures had dipped into the high teens, which meant the living room was sub-50. Brisk, to say the least. My freshly brewed coffee, however, did a decent job of warming me up - God bless whoever put brew timers on coffee makers! I love climbing my stairs to the aroma of fresh coffee and knowing it's ready and waiting for me to pour a cup! I was able to enjoy an entire cup before my little man quietly made his way into the living room, with his ever-present "ducky" blanket draped over his head.
Once Benjamin and Elizabeth awaken and make their appearance, peace and quiet quickly dissipates but both were in good moods, thankfully. After early morning antics and mid-morning baths, they left late morning to spend the weekend with their dad. After a few deep breaths, I decided to take Charley for a little walk to the post office; after all, who knew what surprises may be hiding in my box?!
You know, I'd been wondering the status of the d-word. Over two months ago, my lifelong friend and paralegal had sent my husband my papers with a request for a settlement proposal. I just love how I'm given these ridiculously short deadlines and he can take as much time as is convenient for him. At least, that is how it appears. Anyway... after opening my mail box, I no longer had to wonder. For there, just waiting for me, was an envelope with his paralegal's return address in the upper left corner. Oh, yippee.
Why I chose to do this, I don't know, but I promptly opened the envelope and began reading. My "comments" were a series of huh, hm, ^ ^ (raised eyebrows) followed by a longer hmmm, phht - all much to the entertainment and wonderment of our postal employee! I quickly decided I needed to do this in the privacy of my home rather than the lobby of the post office. Getting news like this is never pleasant, but to end the year on this note? Lovely.
As my sister remarked, "Well, crap." Admittedly, receipt of this document definitely put a damper on my day. I think, somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I was holding out hope he was holding out for reconciliation. Yeah, got that one wrong.
After the numb disappointment settled in, I was graciously uplifted by much better news. A friend, someone I really don't know well but who has found a niche in my heart, was battling depression recently. I don't know any details, except it was clear it was much more complicated than simply having the blues. I have an inkling of how debilitating depression can be because I also struggle with it at times, but hers was serious enough she had to be apart from her family and in a facility for care. The good news I discovered was that she is now home and doing much better. Praise the Lord for answered prayer! This thrilled me! I've said it before and I'll say it again: God is good, all the time!
So, in the aftermath of receiving the not-so-good news followed by the oh-so-good news, I was emotionally depleted. This, I think, on the heels of the busy Christmas season has left me simply weary. My plans for seeing in the New Year are quiet ones; reading, movies, warm fires, and a hopefully-restful nap or two. I don't make resolutions but I always have new hopes for the coming year. And so, I end with this, which is really a good beginning for any new day or year:
But as for me, I will hope continually,
And will praise You yet more and more.
Psalm 71:14 NAS
My friend - enjoy your massage tomorrow! Love you!
ReplyDelete