Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What's in Store for the Future...

I am so agitated right now.  I should know better than to "put pen to paper" when I'm this emotionally-charged but, hey, it is my blog after all, right?

When someone is building a business yet puts endless restrictions on its patrons, geesh, how in the world do they expect to survive?!  I'm no entrepeneur but even the commonsense part of me says they gotta be willing to bend if they want to make it.  If that business owner cares about the community, they need to be willing to compromise in some areas.  If they don't care so much, perhaps they need to reconsider their motivation...and location, location, location. 

Now, maybe I'm way off base here.  As I said and readily confess, I never have and very possibly never will own and operate my own gig.  Probably a good decision.  But when I walk into a small, privately owned business, try to support it however and whenever I am financially able and willing, and am told complaints about a customer or employee, told don't let your kids touch this or that ("because it cost x-amount of dollars") or don't let them touch the glass doors ("because I don't want to have to clean them") - my support is going to become even more infrequent. 

In a community this small, a small business owner doesn't have a huge resource of support so they better be willing to do some catering to needs - and that means the customer's needs, not the business owner's! Who is always right? The customer. Who pays their bills? The customer. And they dare make me - or my children - feel unwelcome?!  No, my children are not perfect angels; and, oh, by the way, I couldn't care less if they think theirs was.  If they don't like my children in their store, put a sign out front as to what their rules, preferences, and restrictions are.... and we'll see if they are still here another year from now.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! Is this the same person that has told me that kids learn how to behave by bringing them places so you can teach them? If so, I have steered clear of that establishment (especially with the extras) and been given a hard time for that! Sounds a little in consistent! But I'm thinking I have heard complaints from the same person about other people's nameless kids... hmmm... let's see a year from now.

    ReplyDelete