True confession time: I have not always loved the little guys. Who are they, you ask? They are the mom-and-pop shops. The locals. The small, family-owned businesses who fight valiantly to stay in business.
I have historically been a mega-shopper. I frequent the nondescript warehouse stores because I buy into the "more for less" mentality. I'm all about saving a dime where possible. And when it comes to purchasing staples in bulk - you know, those items that make it onto every shopping list - warehouse operations certainly serve a purpose.
But what about the infrequent shopping excursions? What about the opportunities to treat yourself to something special? Is that really when you want a mass-produced, preservative-laden, cookie cutter bargain?
If you said Yes, you might want to re-think your decision. I mean, really, is Starbucks all that much of a treat? Yes, I admit I have enjoyed more than one pumpkin scone there. And their classic coffee cake is, well, classic. It's nothing special or outstanding, though.
What IS special is visiting one of the little guys. On a recent trip to Bishop, I enjoyed a couple genuine treats. My first experience was at the Village Cafe, where I had one of the best breakfasts ever. Let's get this out there right away - the place is not much to look at, but once you take your first bite of whatever you've ordered, made specially just for you, you won't give one hoot what the digs look like! My pancake sandwich breakfast had two of the fluffiest, tastiest pancakes, the over-medium egg was perfect and I could not have asked for better bacon and hashbrowns - both served to the exact degree of crispness that makes my tastebuds dance with joy!
My second memorable treat came from the Great Basin Bakery. I had both a lemon scone and a chocolate-chip scone . Scones can sometimes be a little on the dry side; not these. Not only were they deliciously moist, but they were chock full of flavor. As much as I love chocolate, I rarely have it for breakfast but this chocolate-chip scone was fabulous!
I saved a pecan sticky bun from the bakery for a mid-morning snack. Although it comes with a side pot of icing, I withheld that and found it was absolutely perfect (for me) without. Again, the roll was wonderfully moist and had just the right amount of mouth-watering 'goo' and pecans.
I was also given a loaf of their multi-grain bread. Only word necessary: YUM. I just ate two pieces, toasted, and they were wonderful. The bread is thick-sliced so you really get to taste the goodness of what's inside.
My experience with the GBB will certainly alter my former notion of sticking to the ordinary, unimaginative chain-store experience. My recommendation is to branch out. Check out the little guys, where the goods are made with a little more heart and a little less focus on mass production. It may give you the 'big' experience you were looking for.
No comments:
Post a Comment