Ah, it's that time of year again. Time for 'out with the old, in with the new.' A time for cleansing, purging, rethinking habits and practices. A time for resolution.
Notice I didn't say 'resolutions.' I am not referring to those well-intended but rarely achieved monumental goals we set for ourselves. I don't mean a rigid, new exercise program, or a nutrition-depleted diet "guaranteed" to transform you into the wo(man) you've always wanted to be, or the no-fail organizational plan offered by any number of resources.
What I am talking about is resolution, as in clarity of detail. Not unlike the resolution factor of a conventional television set, wherein the greater the number the finer the image, the resolution in question follows the same pattern: The greater amount of quality time devoted to the important details in your life and surrounding environment will likely result in a life lived more fully with a finer, clearer "image."
I realize I may have you thoroughly baffled and in all frankness, I'm challenging myself in developing this thought process. What I am attempting to convey is the idea of narrowing our focus on what we know and deem to be of utter importance - and letting go of the rest. As a society in whole, we are so very easily distracted by the periphery: Work; play; volunteerism; television; computers and accessibility to information they provide; children, friends, family... The list, really, can be endless. And I would be surprised if some of you weren't vehemently protesting to the necessity of each of the subjects I listed. I don't disagree. But in the grand scheme of things, their necessity is marred by a foggy overlap that muddles our perception and distorts our priorities. Let's take a look at a few examples.
Work. Surely, I am not dismissing the necessity of work! No, I am not. And yet, what happens when work becomes an obsession, when the spouse/parent comes to love their job more than their family? What happens when elective overtime becomes routine? Or work becomes an indispensable resource to fund the purchase of extravagant toys and vacations? Family relationships suffer. Children, spouses, healthy commitments are neglected. Priorities are skewed. Time lost cannot be regained.
Computers. Yup, the seemingly requisite data processing systems are periphery to some degree. Undoubtedly, we have made them an integral component to certain everyday life functions. Beyond those simple and mundane functions, however, exists a whole other world we have chosen to create and abide in, a world that separates us from friends, family, neighbors. It allows us to isolate ourselves and lose the ability to intimately interact with others. It distances us from others. And that is not healthy. We have become a fat cow society, a phrase I'm sure I did not coin, but aptly depicts the lazy, lard-filled people dotting the landscape. Computers cause us to abandon our basic need to be in active fellowship and communion with one another. We are a people that need other people, whether we agree or not. Computers cannot fill that void.
Volunteerism. I must be jesting, right? What could possibly be wrong with lending a hand where a need is recognized? Volunteering can be wrong for a couple of reasons; one, if our heart is not sincere but rather hoping for praise, compensation of any sort, or glory. Two, if the degree of volunteerism takes valuable time away from your first priority, which should be your family. Volunteerism should be a willing sacrifice of time, talent, or financial resources, but not to such a level of putting your family needs on hold. Even good intentions can go awry without clear and prayerful consideration.
So, where is this post going?! What I would lovingly propose is for you to take stock of your past year; assess thoughtfully where you spent your time, your energy, your finances. Are the answers clear and easily found, or do you struggle pinpointing the relevant ventures? If you elect to make a New Year resolution, let it be for resolution - that attention to detail that will provide healthy highlights to your days.
May God be your guide as you ask Him to 'teach us to count the days and teach us to make the days count.' (Life Means So Much by Chris Rice)
No comments:
Post a Comment