Okay, so I am still an active member of the on-line dating site, Match.com. I shudder to think how long I have been on-board with them. Matter-of-fact, I anxiously await my expiration date. Just to clarify, that's the expiration of the membership, not of my life.
You may wonder why I don't just cancel and move on. I am far too practical for that; I spent the money, dang it, and I am going to get what I paid for. What exactly did I pay for? Oh, yes, rollercoaster rejection. Wheeeeeee! Are we having fun yet?
I have corresponded briefly - I cannot express how briefly - with a few "gentlemen." Yes, friends, I use that term loosely. Some of the profiles read like that of a 17-year old, testosterone-crazed, I-have-yet-to-understand-women boy's Wish List: Men who just want to have fun looking for women half their age. Whatever. The women are strictly prohibited from displaying any drama (good luck) and for heaven's sake, no liars, no cheaters, no game players. Duh.
Anyway, I met this guy who has been on the site at least as long as I have. I think I have even tried a Wink or a brief Email to generate some feedback, never to any result. That is, until recently. Maybe neither one of us have been successful; we're now looking at the second-string players (or are we the bench-warmers?!).
So, after a couple weeks (maybe) of corresponding, he suggests we meet for coffee and a chat. I knew I would be in town yesterday and made plans to meet him for coffee. I'm a few minutes late - not a good first impression. I was a little nervous but presented what I felt was a pretty confident, upbeat face. He gave me a bit of an awkward handshake-hug combination and said he'd already gotten his coffee, maybe I wanted to go inside and order something. Sure, I said. And so I did.
He didn't offer to buy my coffee. After only an hour, he says, "C'mon, let's go." I wasn't sure where we were going but quickly learned he was walking me to my car. It felt like an early dismissal. Later in the day, I sent him a note saying thank you for the coffee-time chat, since I coudn't say thank you for the coffee since he didn't spring for it. It's been about 29 hours and still, I haven't heard a peep from him. I wondered what he thought of me, of our visit. I guess I know. I guess I'll be buying my own coffee for a while longer.
No comments:
Post a Comment