Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Overflowing Plate

Am I the only one who puts too much on their plate?!  I know - that's a silly question. Seems to be the curse of our culture.  Aside from my full-time mommy job, I have a part-time position and two volunteer positions.   That's the short list.  Because I'm me, I have a challenging time keeping up with and successfully completing all I've committed to. 

Recently, I questioned why I had accepted the last volunteer duties and I had an epiphany.  Epiphanies can be very liberating.  It dawned on me I had accepted for two reasons:  1-There was a need.  I felt compelled to meet that need.  Nothing wrong with that.  2-I accepted to prove to myself and others I could do as much as others.  How s-t-u-p-i-d.  Something very wrong with that.  Why, oh, why, do I think I have to keep up with those imaginary Joneses? 

God designed each of us to be different beings.  There is absolutely no need for me to try to be a duplicate of someone - anyone - else.  I have some friends who are busy, busy, busy and seem to thrive on that busy-ness.  Not me.  It only makes me feel imcompetent and inadequate.  So, when I take on more than I can comfortably handle, all I really accomplish is to set myself up for a slam on my self-esteem when I can't keep up.

Maybe what I need is to put myself on a diet, a commitment diet.  So, I see a resignation in the near future.  And more room on my plate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment