Monday, February 6, 2017

Last Days 1

This morning I decided to post my portable dishwasher for sale; when we move, I will no longer need it.   Another Big Creek local read the post and commented "moving?"  Later, a dear friend and sister-in-Christ told me how she'd been perusing some recipes and came across some I'd passed on to her; she remarked how she was going to miss me when we moved.   For a while now, I've been thinking about starting this mini-series, Last Days.  I realized, the time to write was right.

I've moved about 16 times in my life.  I'm not crazy about the process.  Mostly, I think, I really abhor being faced to deal with (i.e., pack) all my 'stuff.'  I know I have way too much stuff and I know I don't need half of what I have....but I struggle parting with all that is familiar.  

For the second consecutive year - the first year being largely unsuccessful - I've start a 13-week, 91-day decluttering challenge.  As I come across items I'm convinced still have value, I'm posting them for sale.  The proceeds will go toward the cost of our move.  Thus, the dishwasher post.  Have some dirty dishes?!

Another sacrifice to moving will be the camaraderie I have, on occasion, greatly enjoyed and benefited from.  My neighbors have watched after and over my kids, and I have done so with theirs.  If I or a neighbor needs 3 Tablespoons of dark rum or Hoisin sauce, someone can probably come up with it.  "Have you seen my kid?" has been posted more than once on our local FB page.  Warnings about road conditions frequently surface to keep our neighbors safe coming into or going out of our tiny community.  

I've been in Big Creek 9 years.  A great deal has happened in that near-decade.   We've had plenty, we've been in want; we've survived each.   The seasons have been clearly defined, something I've come to savor.  This winter, as the snow has abundantly graced the mountainsides, I have wistfully cherished each flake, relished driving the snow-covered roads, enjoyed the beauty of the heavy-laden trees, and delighted in the crystal shimmers of the sun playing off the freshly fallen snow - this may be the Last Day I experience a mountain snowfall such as this from my front window.  

Only the Lord knows the number of our days and the paths before us.  May He continue to guide and provide in our Last Days.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, my sweet dear...I am so glad you have placed your reflections to ink. I encourage you to keep writing. It's something I've always hoped to do someday:) You will be painfully missed. Not to mention, my poor "Thing 2" who will be dealing with withdrawal symptoms of the worst kind missing her bestie, of 8 years! Our kids have been kindred spirits from birth!
    Your culinary prowess is a hidden talent that not too many realize, as is your history in acrobatics! Well, at least you can say you have been a part of the original "Greatest Show on Earth" as we witness God's unending love and mighty hand upon us. You are so loved. Maybe when our nests are looking a bit empty we can spend time uninterrupted and look back on these years.
    ~Nettie

    ReplyDelete