Stay on your own side!
I've thought it countless times: Stay on your own side!
Despite its remote location, the road to Big Creek is a two lane road. Countless drivers treat it, however, like a one lane road. That might not be too bad except for the very dangerous reality of SO. MANY. BLIND. CURVES. You know, those curves you can't see around. The ones that completely restrict your view of oncoming traffic. The curves that could mean someone straddling the double yellow line could kill you, or at the very least, do irreparable damage.
When I first starting working in Big Creek, I learned about the Canyon Road, or Million Dollar Mile. It's a stretch of road that grapples to hug the side of the mountain and takes a traveler into what used to be known as Mid-Canyon, a midway point along the Big Creek hydroelectric generation project. It's narrow (in most spots) and very narrow in others. There is no double yellow line.
The first time I traveled this road I was passenger to driver, Joel Preheim. He'd been on this road more times than he could ever calculate. He gave me some timeless advice. He told me to always look ahead, at whatever portion of the road I could see, always, always anticipate a car coming around the next bend, and be ready to back up when necessary.
To this day, this is how I travel the Big Creek road - windy, with many blind curves, despite having the double yellow line, I look ahead to the black asphalt I can see and always, always anticipate what might be ahead of me.
Life can be like that - windy, with many blind curves, having a double yellow line. Oncoming traffic that doesn't always stay on their side. Someone who straddles that line, coming straight for you, who could cause damage to you.
Joel's advice still applies: Look ahead, anticipate what might be around the next bend, and be ready to back up. You may not be able to see very far ahead but be prepared for someone who crosses the line and tries to travel in your lane. We may need to back up (have we crossed someone else's line?). Quick reflexes (and a quicker wit) could be what saves you. That, and staying on your own side!
No comments:
Post a Comment