Friday, October 29, 2010

A Good Day

Today was a good day.  Any day that can start off with some Bible study (still working in the Book of Daniel - awesome!) and a hike with my canine companion, Charley Boy, is a good day!  There are certainly other things that constitute a good day; that is just one of them.

The air was cool this morning as we set out and by the time we got up to Scott's Lake, the breeze was downright chilly.  It felt good, though, and so refreshing.   That's about the only way I like the wind - just enough to whisk away heat from exertion and brush my face with a brisk whisper. 

Charley was in paradise as he followed an array of aromas in typical zig-zag dog fashion!  Deer tracks were evident and I keep hoping we'll get a glimpse of one some day on one of our outings.  After flushing out a startled squirrel, Charley was tempted to scurry down the hillside after it but, thankfully (and probably reluctantly for him), he listened to me and stayed put.  You can be certain, however, he picked up the scent on the trot back and was ready to give it another go!  Of course, if he reacted that excitedly over a squirrel, who knows what he'd do with a deer!

After a nice, lengthy chat with a friend, Charley and I headed home.  Another weekend of no pressing plans, there is the perpetual "to do" list posted on the fridge.  First on the list was to split kindling.  Despite buying firestarters to expedite the chore of lighting fires in the woodstove, I like to have kindling on hand as a back-up.  Plus, I don't know what it is about that task but I just get a kick out of it!  Silly, I know. 

Watching "Princess Bride" while ironing followed splitting the kindling and hauling wood into the house.  Halfway through, I got a call from our post office - UPS had delivered a package for me.  You see, that's one of the great things about living in a community the size of Big Creek; the gal at the post office is also a friend and can let me know when a package arrives! 

After a quick shower and some simple sprucing, I retrieved my package (early Christmas gifts I'd ordered for the kids) and then stopped by the school gym where folks were setting up for the school's annual Fall Carnival.  I pitched in by setting up chairs for the enchilada dinner, hanging streamers for the cake walk, coding Tootsie Pops for another booth, cutting curling ribbon for balloons, and making big bows for something else.   When there was nothing more to be done, several of us ladies made our way to the General Store for our version of T.G.I.F. - nachos and adult beverages, telling stories, laughing at ourselves and each other.   It felt good to spend time with others, relaxing and just feeling alive.

I can be so tense and uptight trying to handle the challenges of any given day.  I know I take life too seriously too often.  But today was different.  I got outside for some fresh air.  Charley and I took a brisk walk in the cool morning.  I was productive at home and I volunteered my time for the benefit of others.  I ate, drank, and was merry.  Today was good.  Scripture says "every good thing bestowed and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights" (James 1:17).  Today was a good thing bestowed on me.  God is good.  All the time.

1 comment:

  1. And, ALL THE TIME, HE IS GOOD! :)

    I had a great time with you today - we need to be more intentional about it!

    ReplyDelete