Saturday, October 2, 2010

Washed Clean

All weekend and into next week, there are thunderstorms in the forecast.  At least we sometimes get a "heads up" they're coming; personal thunderstorms don't always come with any advance warning.  No chance to prepare for the torrent or to cover your head from the onslaught of attack. 

I had warning - I'd read the weather forecast.  So how did I prepare?  The winds predicted were slight and though I knew they'd have an adverse effect, I chose to expend some energy raking my yard to clean it up!  It looked so neat and tidy... for about an hour!    No matter, I knew it would happen.  I knew my efforts would be undone but I so enjoy the physicality of working in the yard that it wasn't a deterrent.  Not unlike washing your car in the rain or with forthcoming rain.  Oh, come on!  Don't tell me you've never done that!  It's classic - I've either washed my car in the rain or washed it knowing the rain is coming!  My thought is that at least it will rain on a clean car.  At least there are fewer leaves and acorns littering the yards.

You could smell the rain coming yesterday.  I love that smell, a sort of musty anticipation of a good earth cleansing on its way.  Even better was the smell after the rain.  Ah, freshness.  Clean, clean, clean.  It's crisp and has that "just washed" fragrance - like a dirty slate being wiped clean.  It's a good feeling, a welcome feeling to know God sends His rains at the appointed time to wash the slate clean.

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:  Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." (Lamentations 3:21-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment