Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Better Perspective

Fresh perspective can be priceless.  It can determine the difference between despair and peace.  Not only can the simple factor of time heal wounds, but the wise and objective words of someone outside a situation can bring clarity of mind. 

Two days ago I was sad and distraught after hearing some unflattering news about my husband.  I see now that the enemy used that news to suck me into wallowing in shame and tried to make me feel responsible somehow.  I was clutching onto a responsibility that is not mine.  The fresh perspective of a friend helped me see what is and what is not my responsibility.   I am not responsible for the actions of any other, including my soon-to-be former spouse.  I am not responsible for the decisions, words, or behavior of anyone but myself.  So, in essence, if someone wants to dig their own grave, don't pin it on me. 

Don't get me wrong.  It isn't that the information I heard doesn't still upset me or that I have elected to gloat about someone else's poor decisions; as the apostle Paul would say, "May it never be!"  At the same time, I don't have to let myself be dragged down in the process.

When I pray with my son at bedtime, my prayer for his daddy is for protection and that he would make good decisions.  I will continue to pray for both, because I know God hears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment