Thoughts can come to me at the oddest moments! I'm mopping my kitchen floor and instantly knew I had to pause and come to the computer. Again. And again.
I'm falling in like with someone who has very different beliefs than I do. Spiritual beliefs, that is. On seemingly every other level, we appear to be a very comfortable fit. And yet...there is this monumental chasm and I don't know how to bridge it. One very dear friend told me being unequally yoked should be an immediate deal-breaker. I know the truth of the words she so lovingly delivered to me... and yet, I also cannot deny the emotions growing inside me.
I did not plan on this. As a matter of fact, I was pretty much planning on this not happening. A relationship was something I thought might be better left to other people, people who have it more together and haven't already had two failed marriages.
There has only been one other man I've known who gave so much to understand and "get" me. My relationship with him had some wonderfully tender moments because of that but "we" were not meant to be. I am delighted for him that he is now married and I have no doubt he is giving his wife his undivided heart and attention. The one element of our relationship that I appreciated so much was his introspective and gently analytic nature that strove to grasp not only what I was saying, but my underlying emotions. My new friend gives me that, too. We can all be misunderstood by people who are close to and care for us, but when there is one who goes beyond that misunderstanding and can break down the tricky parts to get to the heart of the matter - who not only cares enough but has the skills to do so - that is so rare and precious. And difficult to let go of.
I listen to music and praise God through it, both the sweet lyrics and moving music. My new friend also loves music and singing... but will he be able to savor the words of worship to a God he does not believe in? I hear the sweet, sweet name of Jesus... and my heart hurts that he will not feel the depth of love I have for my Savior. Or feel the depth of love the Savior has for him.
So, you can see, I am in quite a pickle: The sweetness of discovering joy with another human being... and the sourness of a critical difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment