Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Another Chapter Closes

A chapter ended last night.  I wasn't given an opportunity for any "closing remarks" and there were two things prominent on my mind so I'm making my own opportunity here and now.

First, I'd like to thank Jack Hudak for taking the time five years ago to talk to me about an opening on the school board.  A member was relocating out of the area, creating a vacancy.  Jack encouraged me to consider applying, which I did.  At the time, I was completely unfamiliar with the inner workings of a school.  As my children would be entering their learning career within a short time, I thought it a great opportunity to get some schooling myself of what lie ahead for them as students.  I finished the remaining term of the previous board member and subsequently served another term.  

For the reason I originally served, I accomplished my goal:  I was introduced to the way a school functions.  I got an inside education on education.  There was a lot to learn and I can't say I walked away knowing it all.  I have had a great deal of admiration and respect for the gentlemen I served alongside; their knowledge, experience, and recall for prior school board actions was phenomenal.  

I have seen our school make tremendous strides to reach its potential.  And I've had the privilege of being a part of that.  

Secondly, I presume to know how others might feel about me; I have no idea how accurate or errant my presumptions may be and I may be surprised at the truth.  I recently came across a quote from Eleanor Roosevelt:  "You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."  Eleanor was a smart gal.  Even so, this is one of the thoughts swimming in my mind since I learned I lost the election:  I take the loss personally.  Perhaps in a large community where a candidate is afforded some anonymity, it might not be such a big deal.  In a community the size of Big Creek, however, where everyone pretty much knows everyone, there is no anonymity.  And so, to quote a line from You've Got Mail, "it may not be personal to [you], but it's personal to me."

Someone asked me if I will miss being on the school board.  As they offered, I have mixed feelings.  No, I didn't always enjoy the meetings; some of the stuff is just plain boring, I'm not gonna lie!  But the opportunity to vote on critical issues that have positive results for our children's learning experience - yes, I will miss those moments.  That's what serving on the school board of trustees is all about.  I sincerely wish the new board of trustees much success and hope there will continue to be a cohesive move forward for Big Creek School.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment