I've always had a thing about someone telling me what to do; it usually makes me dig my heels in and stubbornly resist. Of course there are times it is perfectly legitimate and I am more than willing to go with the flow and comply. What I'm referring to are those times someone thinks they know what is best for me, without really knowing me.
Take for instance a man I recently met. Within a few conversations over the course of only a few days, he made statements for me; he countered much of what I had to say (and then wondered why I had so little to say!); and presumed to know what I was thinking, why I was thinking it, and what I needed to do about it. The unnerving part was how accurate some of his insights were; the annoying part was how presumptuous he was about it all!
I met him for a casual outing because I was intrigued. And hopeful, as I have been so many times in the past few years. I was hoping for some chemistry but it wasn't there - at all. Analyzing myself has been something I've done for years, but to sit across from someone I barely know who felt it acceptable to dissect my life was just too much.
They say it takes 99 no's to get to the one yes; I should be getting close.
No comments:
Post a Comment