Monday, September 30, 2013

Sobbing for Mom

I went for a run this morning.  I was expecting my typical run, 5 miles long, waving to cars and trucks as they speed by.  I do that for two reasons:  one, so they know I know they're there and two, just to be friendly.  But it wasn't typical this time.

I could hear a vehicle come up behind me.  I try to be very aware of traffic, and I was aware this one was slowing.  It's always nice when I see someone I know and they slow enough to say Hello!  This time, however, it wasn't just a Hello.  It became the delivery of some jolting news:  A long-time resident and many-decade retired teacher from our school had gone home to her Savior last night.  I know her son and have met one of her four daughters.  My tearful and shocked response was something like, "I know we all have our last day but some folks you just expect to live forever."  Barbara was one of those ladies...

He drove on and I tried to continue my run.  I found myself praying for this family and their loss.  I don't know if you can relate, unless you, too, have lost someone as dear as a parent.  I have.  I thought about her son; my last conversation with him was about his mom.  Is he at peace with her passing?  Was he with her when she took her last breath?  Was anyone with her?  Please, God, I pray, that someone was with her.  I pray she was ushered to the presence of the Lord, from this life to eternity, with loved ones by her side.

I sobbed.  I sobbed for my own mom, gone now nearly 19 years.  Like yesterday.  I thought about my precious friends who still have the blessing of the presence of their parents.   Call them! I pleaded silently.  Don't let the sun set this day without calling them and telling them "I love you."  What I wouldn't give to tell Mom face to face...

I ran bleary-eyed to the halfway point.  I did my stretch routine.  I started to run back up the road but only got a few yards before taking the grade.  I ended up just walking.  And thinking,  And sobbing.... for my mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment