Thursday, June 2, 2011

Really? June Already?

Inspiration comes in many forms and from many directions.  Today I am inspired by blue skies, hearing my children's laughter outside, and a peaceful contentment.  Since Spring came stealthily disguised as Winter, the blue skies are a welcome sight.  The fact Ben & Elizabeth are giggling like mad may mean they are having too much fun doing something I'll end up paying for later.  But the sound of their merriment is worth it.   And the peaceful contentment?  I've learned not to ask Why? when a good thing comes my way, but simply to enjoy it, lavishly roll in and treasure it.  Such is this day.

I feel my writing is a bit rusty.  If there were a writer's oil can handy, I think I'd have to oil my joints and lubricate the recesses of my brain!  Not unlike my relationship with my Lord, the trials are what tend to draw us near and for me, prompt my pen.  Perhaps that means my trials have been less severe of late; oh, praise!  That's cause for celebration!

As I have been absent for some time from blogging, how about a quick update? 

I've mentioned before I've been a little bummed that my children seem unappreciative of my culinary skills.  So that my abilities in the kitchen don't suffer from lack of use, I have volunteered to bake treats and goodies for our local volunteer fire department.  They meet weekly and I use that opportunity to share something yummy.  I've always firmly believed in using family and friends as guinea pigs for sampling new recipes and now I have a new audience!  And, it allows me the opportunity to give to those who are giving their time and service for the safety and betterment of our community.

Being a member of our three person school board kept me busy with extra meetings during the early months of the year.  We were conducting a search for a new Superintendent/Principal following the announcement of the retirement of our current one.  It was a tremendous responsibility and I am hopeful in our choice and grateful the process is complete!

Big Creek is also on the verge of welcoming a new pastor to our community church.  Pastor Roger Siegrist and his wife, Elizabeth, will be relocating from Pennsylvania later this year along with their two young children.  It's exciting to anticipate the growth and change God has planned for the residents of Big Creek.  I sincerely pray we are willing servants, answering whatever call He places on us.

My days have not altered significantly; I am still seemingly at the beck and call of Benjamin and Elizabeth!  Ben graduated from preschool a couple weeks ago and is eager to begin Kindergarten in the Fall, when Elizabeth will enter preschool.  With Summer ahead, we will be busy with swim lessons, a camping trip or two in our old-but-new-to-us pop-up trailer, as well as a jaunt to the coast and a Shaver Lake horseback ride with the kids.  I may check into karate for them, too, to help work off some of their immeasurable energy! 

I have about a zillion DIY projects in mind:  a bean-bag toss gameboard  (yeah!  I'll finally get to use my jigsaw!) and handpainted hopscotch path for the kids and a patio made of concrete pavers and old brick are tops on my list.  The garage is in desperate need of cleaning, purging, and organizing.  If only the weather would cooperate, I could empty the space and start fresh with new shelving and bins. 

A spiffy new firewood storage shelter is slated to be constructed, which will eliminate the irritating tarps that were constantly needing management through the cold winter months.  Ugh.  I will NOT miss wrangling those darn things!

These are just a sampling of summer activities I have in mind.  I always seem to have a 'to do' list as long as my arm; of course, once something is crossed off, there is another task to replace it.  I'd like to finish painting the rooms in the house, design and create my Italian corridor, train for another half (or full) marathon, reconstruct the lawn Charley has had his way with, wax the Montero (nah, cross that one off - I hate waxing a car), buy a chain saw and cut some wood... ah, the list is indeed endless!  I like being busy, creative, productive.  Maybe I'll even have some time and opportunity to develop some friendships, catch a show at Roger Rocka's, savor a meal I haven't had to cook or clean up with a nice someone, and spend an evening or two enjoying a glass of wine outside by a fire in the chiminea.  Because, really, you can't beat the clear night sky awash with crystalline stars here in Big Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment