Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Cheek, My Shirt

 As the "natural man" in me surfaces - a sinner from birth - I naturally turn to sarcasm as a defense mechanism.  I've been hurt, betrayed, rejected, and abandoned - probably much like any other individual.  So, I'm not that different than you, or more special.

My sarcasm has, understandably, gotten me into some unpleasant circumstances.  I don't mean to be mean but I have nurtured a habit of letting my hurt come out in hurtful words.  I did it again to my estranged husband the other night... as he was doing me a favor.  Yeah, not good on my part, to say the very least.   He brought over some personal possessions of mine and after realizing something had not been included, I asked about it.  He advised me he would be keeping it.  Hmm.  I thought I wanted it until I realized it really is not worth arguing over.  I have absolutely no desire for it anymore. 

As he has let fly his own angry feelings toward me these past few days, I can't help but wonder how he feels as the venom spills forth from his lips.  This is NOT the man I married!  I have confessed my wrongdoing - the disrespectful, hurtful and ugly words I have spoken to him.  One thing I can say is my dispicable behavior felt dispicable.  I was ashamed, ridden with guilt, appalled at hurting my own husband - yes, I knew I hurt him.  I just did not realize how badly.  I really didn't know

In looking for truth, the ugly truth of who I am and why I have allowed the things I've done to be done, I have repeatedly read, heard, and been told - I have to take responsibility; I have to "own my own stuff."  No one made me do anything; I chose my own responses.  It is a disgusting thing to know about yourself and so there is a part of me that wonders if I am being given a dose of what I doled out.  You know, "what goes around, comes around," "turnabout is fair play," "all is fair in love and war."  But even if it is, darn it, I cannot help but think that as I have to be responsible for my words and actions, so does he.  And to date, he has not been willing to do that. 

And so, although I have been a fighter, a fighter who forced a hand I never intended to, the following comes to mind, and I will humbly bow out of the fight.  I can never say "I'm sorry" enough.

Whoever hits you on the cheek, offer him the other also ; and whoever takes away your coat, do not withhold your shirt from him either.  Luke 6:29

No comments:

Post a Comment