Since I've just recently started this blog, there have only been a handful of readers and comments, the majority of which were sent via email or through Facebook - not even on the blog! I've received kudos (thank you!) and questions alike, such as 'why are you doing this?!' It's a legitimate question. One comment described it as "a personal way to be impersonal OR an impersonal way to be personal." Yes, I guess to some degree that is true. I prefer to think of it this way: Have you never read or heard something, whether in a book, a magazine, on-line article, a devotion, a speech, sermon, etc., that touched you? challenged you? inspired you? resonated with you? I have. I have read things that led me to wonder if the author had been silently and invisibly watching my life and decided to write about me - it seemed that close to home. I have read things that made me shout, "YES! That's exactly what I think or feel, too! Somebody gets me!" Isn't it reassuring to know others see what you see, feel what you feel, think what you think? Isn't it comforting to know you are not alone?
My goal is to not only "get some things off my chest" as a means of dealing with my own life's challenges, but hopefully to also offer worthwhile insight, understanding, and hope to others who may be facing similar situations. We can learn from each other. We are meant to be in fellowship with others, not isolated and alone trying to muddle through life independent of one another. I was taught to take care of myself and, frankly, I can. But doing so cuts me off from valuable people and experiences, creates an attitude of self-centered absorption, and leaves little room for growth, friendship, learning, maturity - many things the Lord God desires for His children. I have been independent of God, following Sinatra's mantra "I did it my way" to the unpleasant tune of disaster! The Lord tells me in Matthew, 11:28-30: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." His way, not my way, will provide rest, learning, and ease of burden.
The point is this: I have been blessed more times than I can count by the words of another, by friends and strangers alike who have struggled as I struggle. I have found hope, encouragement, loving reprimand, and truth in the words of someone who took the time to share. Yes, this blog is an indulgent exercise in cathartic self-expression... as well as a means of sharing with others. I hope you receive some benefit from time to time.
No comments:
Post a Comment