Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Think About Such Things

I woke this morning to the sickening residue of bad dreams - feelings of loss, betrayal, disappointment caused by my estranged husband's actions in these dreams.  I hesitate mentioning 'feelings;' many people don't give them much credence since feelings tend to vacillate so. But God gave them to us; they are real and are real indicators of circumstances we are facing, despite how brief or lasting they may be.

His actions occurred, to the best of my knowledge, solely in the dreams.  Whether there is any truth to their reality, I'm unaware.  Thankfully, as I sat in my front sunroom, looking out at the mountains across the way and nursing my wounded feelings with my first cup of coffee (strong and black, thank you!), my mind was redirected from these unpleasantries to a passage of scripture, Philippians 4:6-8: 

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

There is comfort in scripture because I can count on its truth.  It does not lie, it does not deceive, it does not confuse, distort or change.  God's word is what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy.  His word led me to pray - pray for my husband.  Not always an easy assignment, given our separation; however, I know He hears my pleas and He will answer in His way and His time.  Until then, I ask for the peace God offers.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this scripture. It touched me today. For many reasons, some you know, some you don't, I too am just seeking the peace that only God can offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He'll meet us wherever we are, but we have to seek Him. I pray His peace for you, Deb - there is no comfort like it.

    ReplyDelete